Episode 29: Screw Barrymore
Air date: February 17, 2017
Screw Barrymore is a force on Victorian Roller Derby League, so it was awesome to have this rad and smart human on Flat Mat Radio! Kickit and Barry talked about her background in sports, her start in derby, self-care for skaters, traveling as a team, and much more.
Screw Barrymore started skating in 2011 after watching Whip It. She realized that liked it heaps so she skated with a new club closer to home for a few years. After a trip to America and Camp Awesome in 2013 Barry was convinced to join the big smoke at VRDL and stumbled onto the team pretty quickly. She upgraded from bench warmer the next season in 2014 and slowly stepped into a bracing position which is her primary role on the team. Screw Barrymore captained the 2016 season and is stepping into captaincy again this year.
What Happened When
- 3:25 A background in sports, starting in netball (a fancy Australian sport rather like basketball) for 20 years where Barry was “too aggressive.”
- 4:55 Childhood roller rink memories and a Whip It derby awakening. When I watched the film I didn’t believe it was a real sport for about two weeks, I thought it was completely made up.
- 5:35 Barry’s first aid certification got her front row seats to the VRDL final, and then the next day she signed up for a local league.
- 6:25 The transition from local skating to VRDL, via Camp Awesome.
- 7:55 Paying attention to your needs amongst the team community: No matter how much stuff you’re doing for your team, you need to be a good human to yourself as well.
- 8:45 Barry’s background working with physical health, and then moving to mental health.
10:00 Tips to maintain perspective, including gratitude, meditation, and “micro-self-care.”
- 12:00 Kickit talks about how self-care has been important to her.
- 12:55 How to apply mindfulness practice to being a better team.
- 14:30 Anger and how to deal with it. Just remember what’s happening and what I need to ignore… Things can be really overwhelming and we need to pick the information that we’re thinking about, otherwise my head will totally explode.
- 16:05 Being aware of overstimulation and how we respond to it.
- 17:10 Different responses to overstimulation. I totally want to support our teammates, but having that self-awareness to center is important as well. It’s gotta be a combination of helping your friends and helping yourselves.
- 17:55 Tough parts about being a captain, and how to deal with communication issues and task distribution.
- 20:35 Great tips on travel, including talk about the effects of long-distance travel on a team, the balance of free time/team time, and scheduling/what folks need to be successful. We have been awake for seven, how many days? We’re putting on our skates and, what day is it?!
- 24:15 Barry’s personal priorities for tour. … That makes me really happy. That and ice cream.
- 25:50 Important recommendations from Barry on where to travel for good ice cream.
- 26:50 Thoughts on learning different roles and top tips for bracing. It’s good to be safe in your comfort zone and do what you’re really good at, but maybe it’s even more important to do stuff that you’re not good at.
- 28:35 D1 locations and international travel dreams.
More About… Screw Barrymore
Screw Barrymore is Lauren Foote is a captain for Victorian Roller Derby League’s All Stars. Outside of derby she is an exercise Physiologist for mentally ill youth, which means that she gets to keep moving at work too. If you’re interested in her coaching, check out VRDL’s has a Hire an All Star program.
More About… Lemony Kickit
Kickit is Kat Selvocki, an ex-Gotham skater and the owner and sole yoga teacher at Flat Mat Yoga. She likes butts, anatomy, and helping people get out of pain. (Well, in yoga classes, anyway.) In addition to teaching and practicing yoga, you’ll often find her skating, running, and snuggling with her pitbull.