Episode 1: The Smacktivist
Air date: February 4, 2016
Tune into the first episode of Flat Mat Radio, Flat Mat Yoga’s podcast on care and maintenance for the roller derby skater. In Episode 1, Kickit chats with The Smacktivist of Ohio Roller Derby about how they got into roller derby, off-skates training and how to start incorporating weights into your routine, nutrition, and more!
Mack has been training as a competitive athlete for over 12 years. They have competed at the T1EHL Women’s Hockey National Championships as a teenager, then at the WFTDA regionals, D1 playoffs, and Champs, as they transitioned to roller derby as an adult. They currently coach derby at both the individual and league levels, and offer remote personal training. They are the owner and operator of Next Level Skate Shop out of Columbus, Ohio.
What happened when:
- 1:20: Hockey, mental health, and The Smacktivist’s path from wannabe to where they are now. I was like, ‘this is something I could do one day,’ and then I was like, ‘you know what, I need to just do it right now.’
- 5:15 Balancing skating with off-skates training, and the importance of listening to your body and giving yourself time to grow. It’s a really strong thing to be able to listen to your body and to know when you need to take time. Get a peek into the nitty gritty of The Smacktivist’s training schedule at 8:00, and their off-season schedule at 12:55.
- 13:45 Advice for people who are intimidated by weight training. Learn about The Smacktivist’s favorite tool for high-intensity interval days at 16:40.
- 18:10 Nutrition and the importance of when you eat, not just what. Check out 23:45 for The Snacktivist’s vegan protein regimen (wait, wasn’t their name The Smacktivist, not The Snacktivist? Oh well).
- 25:00 The Smacktivist’s top tips: Try different stuff, and the benefits that can come from switching up your routines.
More about… The Smacktivist:
Mack is The Smacktivist is Ohio Roller Derby’s #365, and has been skating on the flat track since saying “if not now, when?” and showing up at an OHRD Wannabe Clinic in 2011. The skating skills they developed over their 13 years of ice hockey served well in derby, and at the end of their first season they were named MVP jammer in their region.
In 2014, the Smacktivist and roller derby took their relationship to the next level when Mack opened Next Level Skate Shop, “where derby is everything.” Next Level is both a bricks and mortar skate purveyor and also the outlet for Mack’s training services. They have been training local junior derby leagues, offering one-on-one training sessions and consultations, and partnering with leagues to offer open training clinics to interested skaters. Mack’s passion for skating and their years of training make them a skilled and competent trainer. They specialize in off-skates form, skate form and power skating training, as well as jammer skills and strategy.
The Smacktivist has also written a number of articles for Derby Central, including one about Off Season Priority Setting which is mentioned during the episode. You can keep up with Mack on Facebook at The Smacktivist 365 and Next Level Skate Shop.
More About… Lemony Kickit
Kickit is Kat Selvocki, an ex-Gotham skater and the owner and sole yoga teacher at Flat Mat Yoga. She likes butts, anatomy, and helping people get out of pain. (Well, in yoga classes, anyway.) In addition to teaching and practicing yoga, you’ll often find her skating, running, and snuggling with her pitbull.